on tuesday, i spent five hours at the passport office. standing at the passport office. ok, 4 1/2 hours standing. the last 1/2 hour i got to sit.
here are some random passport tips.
1. make friends with the people next to you in line. especially if you are solo. you will need them to hold your place when you have to go to the bathroom. speaking of which, a large tim hortons ice cap is probably not a good idea to indulge in on the way there.
2. you may want to get the layout of the office before going. i went to richmond, which meant i had to wait for 4 1/2 hours outside. luckily, it was the one sunny day we had here. i imagine it would have sucked if it had been cold and wet.
3. bring tunes and a book. however, it is perhaps a good idea to watch the subject material carefully. i do not suggest this book. not because it isn't good. but because it is a book about bad dates, and you will inevitably want to burst out laughing. which may not help point #1.
a beverage and snacks help too. but then again, see point #1.
painkillers also help. 4 1/2 hours on a brick street can play havoc on your back.
4. the closer you get to the door, the worse your anxiety will be. the lineup was fine and jovial, until we got to the last stage. when we were about 15 people from the door, everyone started to get stressed out. we kept watching all the people going in. are they cutting in? what about them? why isn't anyone leaving? by the time we were in the office, we were basketcases. and we all just kept staring at the board, waiting for our numbers because they don't call them out. what if we miss our turn? if that happens, i think i will break down and cry right here in the office. and i'm thinking what if i've forgotten something? did i bring the right i.d?
5. i didn't do this, but filling out your paperwork online helps a little. although, this will not be apparent until you actually get into the office. you get served somewhat faster. but, not that much.
but everything is done. i've handed everything in, gave them a ton of money, and i should see my passport in four weeks. which i think is a shorter wait than a few weeks ago.
i was so happy to get into my car and drive home. i cranked up my mp3 player and played tunes that made me sing and dance.
here is the tuesday special bonus, semi-random, driving in rush hour home from the passport office editon top ten.
1. beverly hills - weezer
2. steady, as she goes - the raconteurs
3. i don't feel like dancin' - scissor sisters
4. who taught you to live like that? - sloan
5. ch-check it out - beastie boys
6. white riot - the clash
7. love in a trashcan - the raveonettes
8. rosalie come and go - ryan adams
9. we will rock you - queen
10. why do you love me - garbage
what i hated even more than the rush hour, was that i had to drive by my old work. which reminded me of my ex-boss's moronic supervisor. next post, i will share the top five insane things she said about death, funerals and staff bereavement.
new nook - There has been a great deal of hiatusing going on around these parts lately. The new hammock is an especially delicious place to read away those hot summe...
4 months ago