Saturday, March 17, 2007

ya see, i'm irish, but i'm not a leprechaun...


happy st. patrick's day everybody.




st. patrick used the shamrock in his sermons to demonstrate how the father, the son and the holy ghost could all exist as separate parts of the same being.



pouring a pint of guiness is an art. when i lived in amsterdam, the bartenders drew shamrocks in the foam. and that shamrock had to last to the end of drink. or else!






yes, i know they were formed in london. but as wikipedia says many prominent members are irish, either by birth or descent. plus how can you not love a band that originally called themselves "pogue mahone" aka "póg mo thóin" aka "kiss my arse"






apparently the ingredients for soda bread are taken very seriously. i just find it yummy. i first tried in on the streets of dublin.

btw....no eggs, no raisins, no whiskey.





march 17th is the supposed death date of st. patrick.

one of the legends about him, is he gave a sermon that drove all the snakes out of ireland. however, no snakes were ever native to ireland. some feel that snakes are a metaphor for the druids/pagans and the story is about religious conversion.

7 comments:

Allison said...

LOL!! Thanks for this lesson, I feel as though I've learned a lot and chuckled to boot.

And shamrocks in the foam? Actually? Well, that is very impressive.

Toccata said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day back from one Irish gal to another. My father is Irish my mother Scottish and they have a very lame family joke they like to tell. "Of course we're Irish but with all the nonsense going on we have decided to declare ourselves Scottish instead." Hey, I warned you it was lame!

I want a shamrock in my foam and I want it in a pint in Amsterdam. Lucky you!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I was pretty charmed by the Guinness in Amsterdam story as well. I enjoyed a couple in the kitchen in Calgary, which has nowhere the same cache.

Gotta love those saucy Pogues, though!

justacoolcat said...

Happy St.Pat's Day!

YAAARRRRHHH!

(Apparently I am an Irish pirate)

668 aka neighbour of the beast said...

allison - well, every so often, i feel the need to expand everyone's knowledge. plus it came in handy last nite at the bar.

toccata - the beer always came in little tiny glasses. i do not think i ever saw a pint glass the whole time i was there. but those little glasses were dirt cheap so it was all ok.

amsterdam is one of the most beautiful cities. you know, they have more canals than venice.

barbara - i had my guiness in a bar. no shamrocks tho. i attempted to draw one.

jacc - apparently, it's all about pirates and leprachauns.

greenteaicedtea said...

I have finally mastered the soda bread I think. I tried it with pastry flour, as apparently the flour is different in Ireland. I finally turned down the heat and it has turned out somewhat okay. Hasn't been like my aunt's yet, but it;s getting there.

668 aka neighbour of the beast said...

i am always willing to volunteer as a guinea pig for testing!